Saturday, February 18, 2017

Control Girl: Lessons on Surrendering Your Burden of Control from Seven Women in the Bible

Publisher:  Kregal Publications
Publication Date:  January 27, 2017
Pages:  216

About the book (from Amazon):

Little fights with your husband and kids. Unhappiness when things don't match your version of perfect. Tension, anger, fear, anxiety--it all begins with a heart that craves control. When your perspective of how life should go replaces God's, you doom your quest for security, peace, and joy before it even starts. 

Thankfully, there is a better way.

Join Shannon as she shares what she has discovered about her own control struggles and 
about God from studying seven Control Girls in the Bible. Whether it was Eve's desire to know instead of trust, Sarah's inability to wait for God to move, or Rebekah's controlling hand on her family's future, each of these women's stories contain warnings and lessons for us today. 

Learn how you too can lay down this burden of trying to control everything and find rest in surrendering to the One who truly is in control.

My thoughts:

I'm a planner.  I don't like surprises and I like to know what to expect, and when to expect it.  I've found myself repeating these things the last few weeks when in conversation with others...along with the phrase, "some might call me a control freak".  Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I like to be in control.  I may or may not have some major control issues in my life.  But what's wrong with liking to be in control? That's a good thing, right?  Sometimes yes; sometimes no.  It all depends on the type of control one is desiring, and how it affects those around you.  This book could not have come at a better time in my life.

First off, let's start with the cover of the book.  It's so pretty!  I love the purple colors, the flower, and the overall layout of the cover.  As I've mentioned before, covers sell books.  We all know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but if we're honest, that's what most of us do.  Present company included. Let's just take a moment and enjoy the cover one more time before moving on...

Okay, let's get down to the nitty gritty of the book.  Otherwise known as the guts. Each chapter is split up into multiple lessons, making this a very easy read. Whether you decide to read straight through the chapter (not what I would recommend), or take it one lesson a day (my recommendation), you will find that it's very user friendly.  At the end of the lessons there are scriptures to look up, questions to answer, and a thought to meditate on.  But don't let that scare you, there are only a handful of questions for each one.  And let's be real; not everyone will want to write their answers in the book, and that's okay.  As long as you're thinking through them, you're getting out of the book what the author intended you to.

How many times have we worked our way through the Bible or a study only to be left thinking, "I could never be like so-and-so in the Bible.  She is the perfect woman."  Let me reassure you, that is not the case with this book!  The lessons that are taught throughout this book are lessons that are learned from seven women in the Bible.  They weren't perfect women, they were women like you and me.  They had control issues and they too needed to learn to overcome them.

Shannon Popkin is an excellent communicator, never coming across "preachy" or above all of this.  She too is a woman who has struggled with control.  She knows our pain.  She is reaching out to help us navigate our way through.  

I've only just begun my journey through this book, and would love to have you join me.  If you'd like to pick up a copy for yourself, click the Amazon link above.  Care to share what your biggest control issue is with?  Leave a comment and lets get the discussion started.  There's safety in numbers, right?  Don't be afraid to admit the issue.  Buy the book...you won't regret it!  I give this book 5 stars.

*I was given a copy of this book for my honest review*


No comments:

Post a Comment