Monday, October 11, 2021

The Catch Me if You Can by Jessica Nabongo

 

Pages:  416
Publisher:  National Geographic
Pub Date:  May 24, 2022

About the book (from Amazon)...

In this inspiring travelogue, celebrated traveler and photographer, Jessica Naongo -- the first Black woman on record to visit all 195 countries in the world -- shares her journey around the globe with fascinating stories of adventure, culture, travel musts, and human connections.

My thoughts...

While I was not privileged to a full advanced copy of this book (its release is still over 6 months away), the sampling I received was amazing, Jessica Naongo has lived one amazing life!  To travel the world, visiting some countries multiple times, is an adventure many people will never have the chance to experience.  Inviting readers to glimpse her photographs and stories is like sharing a secret with a friend.  Once begun, you will long to sit curled up with this beautiful book for hours browsing page after page.

While I enjoyed viewing the many photographs, I did stumble upon a quote that continues to strike a chord with me. "We have been socialized to believe that a successful life is finding a high-powered and high-paying career, buying a huge house and fancy car, and having a beautiful family.  I thought the same once, but turns out, that life doesn't interest me."  

While there is nothing wrong with the things she mentioned, for some the overwhelming longing to follow in her footsteps may seem out of reach.  The chance to venture down the same path she has chosen is unobtainable.  But it's not.  Thankfully, through this book, the journey is laid out right before our eyes.  All one needs to do is reach out and flip the pages.  

I give this book 5 Stars and recommend purchasing a copy to be placed on your coffee table after you have read it from cover to cover!

**I received a partial copy of this book from Edelweiss+"

No comments:

Post a Comment