Monday, March 27, 2017

When God Made You - Matthew Paul Turner

Publisher:  Waterbrook
Publication Date:  February 28, 2017
Pages:  48 pages

About the book (from the back cover)...

You, you...God thinks about you.  God was thinking of you long before your debut. 

From early on, children are looking to discover their place in the world and longing to understand how their personalities, traits, and talents fit in.  The assurance that they are deeply loved and a unique creation in our big universe will encourage them to spread their wings and fly.

through playful, charming rhyme and vivid, fantastical illustrations, When God Made You inspires young readers to learn about their own special gifts and how they fit into God's divine plan as they grow, explore, and begin to create for themselves.

'Cause when God made YOU, somehow God knew 
That the world needed someone exactly like you!

My thoughts...

It's an okay book.  The illustrations are vivid, a tad wild and bright, and there is a lot going on that could capture a child's attention.  Or distract them from the story.  I'm not a big fan of the way the people are drawn in the book either.  Some have pointy chins, no chins, or oddly shaped heads.  It's not the worst illustrated book I've seen, but it's not the best either.

The story part of the book left a little to be desired also.  I like the meaning or the moral of the story, and was looking forward to reading it.  I had high hopes that this would make great baby or toddler gifts.  But sadly I think I'll have to pass.  According to Amazon, this book is geared toward preschool - 2 years of age.  I think the vocabulary is a little much for that age span.  While it rhymes and flows nicely like a song, I don't know that children will entirely enjoy it.

But don't take my word for it...check it out for yourself.  Amazon has some of the inside pages displayed on their page, and it currently has a 5 star rating.  Some great endorsements by popular Christian celebrities are also listed on the page (Amy Grant and Ann Voskamp).

*I was given a copy of this book for my honest review, and give it a 4 star rating.*


No comments:

Post a Comment