Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dreams

I realized something today.  Somewhere along the way of my growing up years, I lost the urge to dream.  I fully admitted in a conversation I had today, that I am a pessimist, and a realist at that.  The person I was having the conversation with is an optimist, and a dreamer.  She shared dreams for her future, and that of her family's.  Dreams for years down the road, and how they might achieve them.  And then it hit me...I no longer dream, or plan for the future, and that makes me sad.

When life gets hard or complicated, I too often become complacent with where I am, accepting it for what it is.  Rather than thinking through the headaches of life, and saying "what if", I stop thinking, and just stay where I am.  I'm afraid to get my hopes up...less I be disappointed with the outcome.

This is not a trait I want to pass on to my children, I want them to have dreams for themselves, and dreams for their future families.  I want them to learn what it is to yearn for something in life, to have to work hard to achieve it, to not become just "OK" with where they are.

Yes, there will be disappointments along the way, but that is a part of life.  We learn from them; learn how to adjust our dreams; what is attainable, or doable.

Sometimes life gives you opportunities that may seem so overwhelmingly impossible...and that is where the dreaming can start.
  • Surround yourself with optimistic and dreaming people, and the possibilities will become endless. 
  • Find a dream, and journal it, or draw it.  Release your feelings about the dream, and soon it will start to take shape, possibly becoming a reality.
  • You are so much more than your current situation; dream big, and share that dream!
So for today, I will re-learn how to dream.  I will find my dream, and I will make plans for the future.  It may not come exactly as I planned,  but that's OK, I will readjust my sails, and learn that something better may be on the horizon.

But for today...I will dream!



No comments:

Post a Comment